Sunday, September 23, 2018

Stopping By the Woods . . . At the Start of a New Year

At the end of 10th grade, I was part of the celebration at my home synagogue of the year’s Confirmation. As I recall, there were a good number of us in the class, and I can still picture many of my classmates. I can also easily remember the speech I gave that day (we all gave speeches.) Mine was based on Robert Frost’s The Road Not Taken. As I have written previously, my father believed I was telegraphing my intention to study for the rabbinate in that talk. 

I’ve now been up in the North Country of New Hampshire for the better part of three weeks, sharing the journey into the New Year with the wonderful folks at Bethlehem Hebrew Congregation. Prior to my arrival up here, I had done my homework about the area online, as I knew I would have some time to explore. One site I put on my agenda was what is known asThe Frost Place, the Franconia home in which Robert Frost and his family lived for five years in the early in the 20th century. I just felt like this was a must-do. Today was the day.  A crisp chill in the air, and a clear blue sky, it seemed like the perfect day to head down the road to nearby Franconia.

The Frost Place is not a glitzy site, but it is deeply inspiring. And, it is easy to see why Robert Frost was drawn to Franconia and the White Mountains. I watched the film they show, I toured the house which I filled with memorabilia.  The gentleman who welcomed said, “Be sure to sit on the porch a while.” Boy, was he correct, I could hardly tear myself away from the majestic view from that porch. It is so easy to see why Frost was drawn here and why the Frost Place organization invites rising poets to spend a summer here to soak in the beauty and tap into what surely inspired Robert Frost.
Before leaving I went for a walk in the woods along the “Poetry Trail.” It’s a beautiful, easy walk through the woods surrounding the home, speckled from time to time with bits of Frost’s poetry. I wasn’t familiar with several of the poems I encountered along the way. But I suppose I wasn’t surprised when I came upon the familiar Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening. Somehow, reading it there in the beauty of Franconia’s woods it sounded different and even more powerful.  A short while later, I suppose I was not entirely surprised to find "my Frost poem" – The Road Not Taken. 
Reading it in the quiet serenity of these beautiful woods, and at yet another juncture in my own personal journey, it was quite the powerful moment. I do not know where the road ahead will lead me, but I am certainly glad that my road has brought me to this beautiful part of New England, and back to the poem that was a touchstone for me long ago. And just before I left The Frost Place, I spied a short few words by Frost I'd never hear before. But they were well placed for this juncture in my journey and I snapped a quick photo!

Just feeling “the presence” of Robert Frost and his art this afternoon was an inspiration. And that walk was a great way to launch into Sukkot – when we celebrate nature’s beauty and bounty. Chag Sameach!

No comments:

Post a Comment