Thursday, July 14, 2016

Why a New Blog? Why Now?

July 12, 2016

Sitting in the Olin Library at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio.

Just days ago I returned to Kenyon to participate in this summer's 2nd Annual Beyond Walls: Spiritual Writing at Kenyonconference. My experience last summer left a profound imprint on how I look at and approach the art of writing. Under the guidance and tutelage of remarkable teachers, each a gifted writer in her or his own right, I found new muscles and learned to stretch those muscles.

I have returned to Kenyon this summer to strengthen the muscles I discovered a year ago. I have returned to build upon the foundation that, together with my teachers, I began to lay last summer. As I look ahead to continuing to develop my writing as a practice and discipline, I have chosen to launch this new Blog on which I can more freely share my musings, my thoughts and my questions, in ways which might be inappropriate on a site linked to my beloved congregation, Temple Shalom of Newton. I expect that I will continue to contribute to our congregation’s clergy blog Divrei Shalom.

On this site I will be exploring issues I feel might not be appropriate for our congregational blog. I hope my musings may spark those of others. Indeed, I look forward to the possibility of fruitful and respectful dialogue which may be sparked by my posts.

This is a new piece of my journey, my wandering as a Jew and a rabbi. I invite you to join me along the path.

Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment